What will happen if my daughter’s car was hit and totaled by a woman who ran a red light but my daughter didn’t have insurance or a license at the time?

Is there anyway that my daughter can sue for damages to replace her car?

Asked on April 15, 2014 under Accident Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since your daughter was NOT at fault in the accident, she can seek compensation for the loss of her car.  If she rejects the settlement offer from the at-fault party's insurance carrier, your daughter can sue the at-fault party for negligence.

If your daughter is under 18 years of age, you can be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on her behalf because a minor cannot file a lawsuit herself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.