If my daughter owns a car that I insure, what liability do I or the insurance company have if there is a civil case in an accident?

She has previously totalled a car.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Accident Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So long as you are not on registered title to the car that your daughter totalled in an accident you should have no liability with respect to what happened even though you may pay for the car's insurance. I suggest that you consult with the claims representative for the insurance carrier about the incident and hope that you have adequate insurance for any and all damages arising from the incident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.