If my daughter lives out of state and is about to divorce, is there any way that she can move to my state so that she and her children can live with me?

I can assist with the care of the children 4 young children. Her job is temporary and only pays $12 per hour?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As long as there is not a court order in place that prevents her from moving, then she can relocate with the kids at any time. However, if she has already filed for divorce in her state, she will probably have to return to that state to finalize the divorce either by a hearing or to facilitate agreements regarding custody.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.