If my daughter just had a baby and the father left her a week before the birth, does she need to file any kind of custody paper so that he doesn’t try to get her?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Family Law, Alabama


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It's always better to have court orders in place. Since he's dad, he could be considered to have the same access and rights to the child as the mom.  A court order will regulate the when and the how of his visitations.  It will also give your daughter a means of enforcement if he violates any custody provisions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.