My daughter in law opened a cell phone account in my name. It is effecting my credit. Can I get it put in her name with out get her arrested? NYS

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Just tell her to close the account or you will call the authorities.  Why did she open it in your name?  Let her know that it is effecting your credit.  Tell her you don't want to turn her in, but you may have to if she doesn't close the account right away.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.