What to do if my daughter is charged with criminal negligence to a child for leaving my 4 year old grandchild home alone while she picked up my grandson from school?

She has no other criminal record and the children aren’t abused. How serious is this? Can she go to jail? What are our options?

Asked on June 19, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I would strongly suggest that you seek help from an attorney as soon as possible. This can lead to even more serious charges and if the court believes that she is unfit, they can place all the children in foster care. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.