My daughter in law had a cell phone account in my name. She reniged on payment/effecting my credit. can I get it put in her name w/o get her arrested?

My daughter in law opened an account in my name and then did not pay the bill. They are calling all the time. I want to tell them the truth and get it put in her name.w/o getting her arrested. how can this be done

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is pretty black and white: you either gave your daughter-in-law permission or you did not, and someone is going to have to pay the bill.  How the phone company will react is not for me to say, but if you tell them it was not you and prove that to be correct, they could try and press charges against her.  I do not think that you can direct their behaviour in any way.  Once you prove it was an account that was fraudulently opened they can proceed as they choose.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.