If my daughter hit a deer in a friend’s car but she is not covered under her friend’s insurance and the car is in the mother’s name, what should we do?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Accident Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Since your daughter's insurance does not cover her for liability and damages if she drives another person's vehicle, you need to change your daughter's coverage to include such coverage in the future.

As to the current problem, most likely the car that was damaged by the struck deer is insured under the friend's mother's policy. I suggest that you check to see if that is the case. If so, then the mother's isurance policy should cover the damages needing repairs. I would at least offer to pay the deductible required for the repair of the car since your daughter was driving the vehicle when the incident happened.

Actually, your daughter should pay the deductible for the repairs since she was the driver at the time of the mishap regardless of the fact that she probably could not have avoided the striking of the deer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.