If my daughter has my maiden name and her biological father is not on her birth certificate, can I change her last name to my husband’s name?

Asked on September 25, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Normally you have to bring a name change proceeding and you need to notify the borth father that you are doing this. He can consent and then it will be an easy process. If he objects, you will have to have a full blown proceeding. Each state is different on this issue so I would consult a local attorney to see if the process is any different in your state or if there is an exception to this basic rule

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.