What to do if my daughter died without a Will?

She was single and no children. Her dad has been made administrator of her estate. Can he take the money out of bank account and do whatever he wants with it without paying her funeral cost and one other bill she had?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Estate Planning, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since your daughter passed without a Will or trust in place, under the laws of all states in this country her estate needs to be administered by an interested person such as you or her father. Since her father is administering her estate her funeral expenses need to be paid out of her assets after there is a court order allowing such.

Any money taken out of her bank accounts first needs court approval to be done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.