If my damages in an auto case exceed what the at-fault driver is insured for, do I only have the option to except the maximum amount that they are insured for?

Asked on June 21, 2014 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your damages exceed the policy limits of the at-fault party, you can sue the at-fault party for negligence.  If you prevail in the lawsuit, you can enforce the judgment with a lien on the at-fault party's property.  Pursuing a wage garnishment would be another option for enforcing the judgment against the at-fault party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.