If my dad was in a car accident and lost the case against the other person involved, how can I get that person to stop harassing me?

This person somehow got my number and has been asking me to remind my dad to pay his due. We already know he is supposed to pay the 1st of every month but she keeps on contacting me regardless. Am I legally obligated to give her my dads number even though she got my number through unknown means and keeps harassing me?

Asked on August 8, 2013 under Accident Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, absolutely not.  You do not have to take this from her and I think that you should report it to the police if in fact the actions amount to an harassment complaint under the law in your state.  You should also have your Dad tell his lawyer to contact her lawyer and tell her to stop.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.