What can I do if my mom and dad were divorced but she thinks that she is still entitled to his property?

My dad past away about 2 weeks ago. He and my mom divorced 7 years ago but she has been living at his house for the past 3 years. I am an only child so it is up to me to take care of his estate. I gave her an eviction notice and told her to stop driving the car; the county clerk said that it is part of the estate now and has to be parked. However, my mom says that I can’t take it away or evict her because she says that it’s against the law. I don’t know what to do.

Asked on July 15, 2014 under Estate Planning, West Virginia


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You will have to retain an attorney to proced with the eviction and to acquire, withte assistance of a deputy, the assets, including the vehcile, that are part of the estate. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.