What can I do if my dad passed away when I was 6 and now that I’ve passed my 25th birthday, I think that I’m entitled to Trust money?

A few years ago when I was talking to his mother, she told me that I was to receive money on my 25th birthday. Well, her and I no longer speak, and that birthday has came and gone, with no money received. I am assuming she is the estate holder and since we don’t talk I am trying to find out how do I go about getting this money without having to deal with her? I have plans on getting his death certificate, because I read that is the only way the probate court will look into his will for me. But, if it isn’t listed in the will, then it must be in a trust, right? I’m not against hiring an attorney, just want to know if they’re able to help me get the money without me having any contact with her.

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  If your Dad had a Will and the Will was probated then you can look at the Will and the probate file anytime.  It is a public record.  It may create the trust you speak of in the Will itself.  Now, if there was no probate and there is a Trust, that is not necessarily filed in Probate Court and are not public records but there are tax returns and accountings that need to be filed.  If, however, your Grandmother is the Trustee you will have no choice but to deal with her.  But sonce you are not adverse to hiring a lawyer he or she can do the contacting for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.