What to do if my dad recently passed away and had a life insurance policy naming my grandmother as beneficiary but she grandmother passed away several years ago?

The insurance company is saying that it needs a document stating that there is no person named to handle the estate. I live in a different state than the one in which my father died in. What documents would i need to fill out for this? Do I need to go to court? Do I need a lawyer or can this be taken care of myself?

Asked on May 17, 2013 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. I am sorry for the loss of your dad. When the primary and any secondary beneficiary have died, then the proceeds of a life insurance policy shall be paid to the estate of the insured. It appears to me, based on your post, that you should have an attorney assist you at this time. I myself would want to discuss the situation with you in greater detail. Some attorneys, myself included, will confer for free, at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for need. All the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.