What rights does my stepmother have if my dad passed and their house was not in survivorship but is in both their names?

She wants to put the house in her son’s name. Can she?

Asked on July 3, 2012 under Estate Planning, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the home that you are writing about was not in joint tenancy with the right of survivorship between your deceased father and your now living step-mother, most likely she owns one half interest in it and your father's interest would be subject to what is stated in his Will or trust and if not the intestacy laws of his state of residence.

Your step-mother can give whatever interest she has in the house to her son. I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney about this matter and bring him or her a copy of the deed to the property you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.