What can we do if my dad passed and my sister and I have not been able to locate a Will?

My dad was living with a woman who was not married to him. She has stopped us from taking anything out,refuses to leav, and is removing things from the house.

Asked on April 6, 2015 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You or your sister need to be appointed as the personal representative of your Father's estate ASAP.  The girlfriend has no rights to anything he owned (so long as it was not jointly held) and you and your sister will inherit everything under the intestacy laws (when you die withput a Will).  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.