What to do if my dad left his house in a “living Will estate” to my brother who is making some poor decisions in his life right now?

In the case that he should get in trouble or be sued, could my other brother take over?

Asked on October 31, 2013 under Estate Planning, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given the situation tjat you have written about, perhaps you could suggest to your father that he consult with a Wills and trust attorney to sort out the issues with respect to continuing with the brother who is making poor decisions in his life and have another sub,ing act as the executor of the Will later on. Such attorney in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.