If my dad left a truck in my yard several months ago and I can’t find him but the title is here and it is blank, can I put it in my name?

I can not find him because he is wanted.

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You cannot unilaterally put legal title of the vehicle of the property not belonging to you in your name under the laws of all states in this country. In order to place title of the vehicle in your name, you need to go to your local department of motor vehicles and get the necessary form to conduct an auction of this vehicle for unpaid rent.

From there you follow state guidelines with respect to notice of the car's auction and the amount owed you. From there you conduct an auction and if you are successful on the bid for the vehicle (including credit bid for amount owed on rent) then you have processed the necessary paper work with the department of motor vehicles to have the vehicle placed in your name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.