If my dad is am American citizen, is any way that I can get my American papers legally ?

My dad left me when I was 5 years old and now I’m 16 years old. I was born in Mexico but now I live in Haiti. I just wanted to know if there is any way that I can make him give me the nationality papers or any way I can go to the Hatian embassy to make him do it.

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

if you have not had any relationship with your father it will be very difficult for him to petition for you but it may be possible.  He would need to initiate the process and prove that he is able to sponsor you in addition to just petitioning for you.  Also, if he was not actually married to your mother, it might be difficult to prove paternity, especially if he is not listed on your birth certificate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.