If my dad gave me 15 acres and a 3 bedroom doublewide but did not have any paperwork and has now passed away, what can I do to change the deed?

Asked on September 20, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to visit with a probate or real estate attorney because a number of factors can affect the answer to your question.
If your father's estate was fairly small, you may be able to resolve the issue with a simple affidavit of heirship.  These affidavits can be effective tools for avoiding the need for a probate.
If there is no will, but you've been in possession of the property for sometime, you may just need to assert adverse possession... and a real estate attorney can help you with the documents. 
Start with the probate attorney and then get a second opinion from the real estate attorney.  The reason I'm recommending the probate attorney first is that it's a much cheaper route assuming that's all your situation requires.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.