If my dad claims me as a dependent, when I get married in 4 days and change my name will he find out?

I’m about to marry a Marine, I’m 21 and still live at home. I’m my father’s dependent still. We are having a bigger wedding later on in the year but I don’t want my dad to get into legal trouble if he claims me as a dependent on his taxes when I will be a dependent of my husband’s. He still pays my insurance but I would like to pay that once I get married. If I change my name will it show on the insurance?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Once you get married, you are no longer going to be a dependant of your father and you need to inform your father and he needs to inform the insurance company. Otherwise, you can both get into a lot of hot water when it comes to taxes and insurance coverage.  The sooner you inform him, the better.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

At age 21 years of age you should not be claimed as a dependent upon your father's tax returns if you are earning your own income and not in school because you are an adult and not physically or mentally challenged where someone needs to care for your needs.

If you change you name upon marriage, you should have the insurance policy that your father has for you changed to reflect your married name. You father cannot claim you as a dependent legally when you are married and your spouse claims you as a dependent for tax purposes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.