What to do if my current roommate, who happens to be the master tenant, is asking me to switch rooms because he is unhappy with the “lighting” in his room?

By “lighting”, I mean that my room has two windows that face the sun, and he has one. He told me that he wants to switch rooms or have me move out. Is this legal?Is there grounds for a lawsuit for an unjust reason to want me to leave? I have not signed a sublease with him. Only a verbal agreement where he never mentioned anything about switching rooms.

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about, you are on a month-to-month lease arrangement (sub-lease). It is your judgment call to refuse the room change where if you do, you might soon end up with a thirty (30) day notice of termination of your lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.