My cousins aunt used the trust fund money that my mother left me as a child to purchase a house. I was fifteen years old at the time, and had no say. They completely emptied both my brother’s and myself’s account. Can I sue them?

My mother died when I was about fourteen years old. She named my Aunt as the
person in charge of myself brother’s trust fund. My Aunt proceeded to use
375,000 dollars of our trust fund money to purchase HER daughter, my cousin, a
house under the guise that my cousin would be caring for us. I was told by my
cousin that I was just a tenant in the house, and that she couldn’t stand me.
Within less than a year, I was thrown out by sixteen years old and moved in with
relatives from my father’s side of the family. I am twenty seven years old now,
and have never received a dime for the house. Would I be able to sue them? I
don’t need the money- I just want justice, I have a good profession, and my own
property, but it kills me that my cousins essentially robbed me and my brother,
who were basically orphans. Please advise.

Asked on September 26, 2017 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is likely too late to sue: a trust is a written instrument, and so the time to take action on it should 5 years, the same as the statute of limitations for a written contract (5 years in your state). Even though the statutory time period most likely would not have started running until you were 18, that would still have meant that any action should have been filed by age 23, not 27.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.