How to gain access to a deceased person’s apartment?

My cousin passed away suddenly. We don’t think she had a will. She lived alone in a one bedroom apartment. Her next of kin is her brother who flew in and we have made funeral arrangement. The problem we have is that the rental management won’t let us in the apt. We asked if they could even enter with us so we can look for paperwook i.e insurance papers/Will. They say we need something from court. What would that be. We went to Law library and court house without much help.

Asked on November 16, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Typically, they will allow in the person who is the administrator of the estate (the administrator is the person who handles the estate when there is no will; he or she is appointed by the court), if that person has the appropriate documentation to show that the tenant is dead and the administrator's right to act on the estate's behalf. Speak with a trusts-and-estates (will know about the adminstative end) or landlord-tenant (will know about tenancy law) attorney; he or she will be able to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.