What course of action can take if my cousin falsified information to police officer using my name and forging my signature?

Asked on August 3, 2015 under General Practice, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) You can and should file a police report and look to press charges for identify theft, which is what this is. You need to go on record aggressively about his, so the authorities will know this was not you and that your cousin in no way had permission to speak for, or represent that he was, you.

2) If you suffer any losses, costs, etc. due to what your cousin did, you could sue him to recover the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.