If 3 years ago my country club took me to court to collect membership dues but they never showed up so the judge dismissed the case, can they still come after me?

Nobody showed up from their party at court and the judge Ordered and Adjudeged to be dismissed due to lack of prosection. Now they are coming to me stating that I still owe them the money. Was the judge’s decision enough for me to dispute these charges?

Asked on July 24, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the case against you was dismissed without prejudice, it can be reinstated.  If the case against you was dismissed with prejudice, that means the case cannot be reinstated.

A dismissal with prejudice means the case cannot be reinstated.

A dismissal without prejudice means the case can be reinstated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.