My contract wasn’t renewed for 2009-2010 and I wasn’t given a reason why. Do I have the right to view my employee file? I

I work for the Rutherford County Board of Education and the principal didn’t renew my contract and gave me no explanation why. Is it my legal right to view my file and know why it wasn’t renewed? I would like to go to a different school and maybe black balled. What are my legal rights?

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you say didn't give a reason why -- you usually know why.  Where the reason is appropriate or not.

In terms of can you look at your file, you need to review your county's laws and rules on personnel and whether you can.  Further, look at your contract.   Be prepared that if you hire a lawyer, you may get blackballed anyway.  That doesn't mean you should cut your losses, but be prepared that this is not necessarily a quick solution.

This is the Rutherford County Board of Education Manual.  Check it out.  Especially Sections 5.110 and 5.114.

Try and look for an employment attorney who has dealt with education forums.  Double check his or her record at the Tennessee State Bar.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.