If my contract position wants 3 months notice before leaving the position. is it possible to leave the position earlier?

The section states: “This agreement may be terminated by either party upon three months advance notice. If Contractor is in violation of this agreement or any portion of the practice code or conduct, or for any reason, company may terminate employment immediately without notice and with compensation to contractor only to the date of such termination”. My company is trying to increase my hours, and I’ve told them I have other work commitments. I’ve offered them some of the hours, they tell me that I have a contractual commitment to them and I have to give them all of those hours.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

An agreement like the one you descrive is enforceable. From the language you quote, if you terminate employment early, you will be in breach and could be immediately terminated and paid only to the moment you gave notice--which may not be a problem for you. However, i it is also possible that if your breach (i.e. you leaving with insufficient notice) caused your employer some direct loss (e.g. they lost a client because you left before finishing some important deadline; or they had to hire someone at a higher rate or salary than you on short notice, to take up the work), they might be able to also sue you for the damage or loss thereby caused, so long as such should have been reasonably foreseeable by you (that is, so long as you could have anticipated the loss or damage you'd cause).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.