If my condo’s A/C unit’s drain clogged causing a flood in the unit below, am I liable?

I am being sued. I was told that in LA each condo own is responsible for their own repairs through their own insurance company if it is not out of negligence.

Asked on August 16, 2011 Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Some general rules as they regard to condominiums:  unit owners are responsible for the repair of any utility that services solely their unit. Also, a unit owner will only be obligated for damage to the unit below if it can be proven that you were negligent in causing the problem.  So from your question here it apppears that what you have heard may indeed follow the general pattern in other states on these matters.  But in many states, what tends to govern in these matters is the condominium documents.  So I would start there and read yours.  And call your insurance company and send them a copy of the suit papers.  You should be entitled to a defense.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.