What are my options if my company was hired to install outlets in an apartment building but payment has not yet been received and it been over a month?

In our contract it states that payment is to be received 5 to 7 days after the job is completed. We tried repeatedly to resolve this matter, however their response is

Asked on May 26, 2017 under Business Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your primary option is to sue them for the money: that's the best way to force someone to pay you what they owe. You would sue for breach of contract (for violating the agreement, whether written or oral, that they would pay you for the work) and for "unjust enrichment" (for getting the benefit of your work without paying for it). Suing in small claims court (if the amount permits) is a good option: it is faster and less expensive, and also procedurally simpler/more straightforward, than other court. If you sue them and win, you will get a court judgment requiring them to pay you, which could, if necessary, be enforced by collections methods (e.g. levying or executing on their bank accounts or rent receivables.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.