What to do if my company refuses to return my personal property?

My company thought I stole proprietary information from them and took my personal (I purchased myself and not owned by them) hard-drives for their investigation. They gave me a replacement of the hard-drives. They fired me anyways and refused to give the original hard-drives back. How do I get my hard-drives back? They contain my personal information. Do I have to go to court?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


John Ducey / Law Offices of John G. Ducey,PC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can try andf report it to the police but if they cannot get it back to you, you can bring them to court.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.