What to do if my company has not paid me correctly since I was a vendor and supposed to get commission but got paid a base salary instead?

What action should I take, is it possible for me to take this to small claims court and settle?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there was an agreement--preferably a written one (since it is much easier to prove its existence and also its terms), but even an oral one--in regards to how you would be paid for the work you did or services you provided, that agreement is enforceable as a contract. If not paid pursuant to the agreement, you could sue the company for the money you are owed (the difference between what you were paid and what you should have been paid). One option is to represent yourself in small claims court. You would need to prove the terms of the agreement, whether by documentary evidence or testimony, and that you did the work you say you did, pursuant to those terms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.