What to do if my company has issued a parking permit sticker to put on the window of my car to show that I’m an employee but I don’t want to put it on my car?

Nearby companies cars parking in our lot is not even a problem. I own a brand new car which I go to car shows every week and take pride in how clean my car looks. Can they force this upon me by terminating me? I feel it is defacing my personal property. Also, they have all licence plates on file, which I feel that’s all they need.

Asked on August 14, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, what you "feel" they need is irrelevant. Your employer may set any terms and conditions it likes for work, and give any instructions it wishes to employees, so long as they are not inherently illegal. There is nothing illegal about a parking permit sticker, so they can require you to put the sticker on your car. If you refuse, not only could they terminate you, they could technically terminate you "for cause" (that is, for disobeying your employer's instructions), which could make you ineligible for unemployment insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.