What to do if my child no longer wants to visit her father?

She started visitation when she was about 4 years old. From that time he has spent no quality time with her and to this day knows nothing about her. In the last couple of years it has been harder and harder on her to go. She is thirteen years old now. She cries when she knows his weekend is coming up and sometimes even gets physically sick to her stomach. What are grounds for her to stop seeing her father?

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a court order in effect, then it must be obeyed. So what you will have to do is to go to court and ask that the visitation portion of your custody agreement be modified. The court will look to the best interest of the child in making its determnation. The fact is that a minor child cannot choose with whom they want to live or visit. However, the older the child, the greater weight that their preference is given.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.