If after school my 8th grader dropped a paper from her notebook with profanity, does the school have a right to suspend her?

A teacher picked it up and returned it to her, yet he told the principal, who threatened suspension. The paper, upon further investigation, proved to have few “bad words” yet were not directed to anyone in general (lyrics to a song) and was not written during school hours. What actions can I take?

Asked on April 4, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A school can suspend students for acts which threaten others, which disrupt learning, or which represent infractions of school policies. If  the school had an anti-profanity policy in policy, or some other policy which would apply, they may have the right to suspend her. If the suspension or other punishment, however, seems or becomes disproportionate to the offense, then you may able to challenge it (students have a right to an education and to due process). If it seems to get to that point and you cannot make headway on your own (e.g. by speaking to district-level supervisors), you may wish to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.