Wat to do if my cat went into neighbor’s house when she opened the door and it ran under bed and when she tried to remove it by grabbing the cat he scratch her?

The scratch opened up a wound with lots of blood. She was taken to hospital and stitched up. She is 94 and on blood thinners. Am I liable for this since I own the cat?

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

While laws are a little different in different states and localities, you are probably liable for your cat's actions.  Most localities have ordinances that require people to confine their pets, even cats, and not let them run free.  Therefore, you cat should not have been able to run into this lady's home.

The right thing to do would be to pay her medical expenses.  I am sure she is on Medicare.  Perhaps if you offer to pay her co-pays and deductibles so that she has no out of pocket expenses, she will agree and the two of you can maintain a neighborly relationship.

If she wishes to make trouble for you, she would call the local animal control authorities.  They probably have jurisdiction to fine you and maybe even quarantine your cat.

If I were you, I would gather the courage and take responsibility for my cat. (By the way, I have a cat who goes out the dog door and jumps over my 6 foot privacy fence.  I understand the problem and appreciate that my neighbors do not complain. )


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.