My car was wrecked. It was repaired by the insurance company’s repair shop.Less than a year the problem still remains; Ins. co don’t want to fix it.

I almost lost control of the car due to the problem. I had a mechanic look at it he told me what was wrong.I took it back to the same shop & they check it. The said nothing was wrong, just needed an alignment. Took it next door to Firestone (car shop) they took a look at it , called me back in a few hours & said they couldn’t do anything cause what they initial shop fixed was a messed up! Now I left with a car that’s not safe to drive cause my ins. co. said nothing was wrong. They told me to file another claim. But why should I file another claim if the company they sent me to didn’t fix it ?

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Insurance Law, Alabama


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like you should make a claim with the original body shop that fixed your car if you can get a mechanic to state what is wrong and what caused the problem.  In the mean time, it might be difficult for you to prove to the insurance company that what is wrong with it now has anything to do with what happened in the accident unless a mechanic is willing to give a statement to that effect.  I wouldn't give up, though.  Keep pushing the insurance company.  Put it all into a letter and let them know what happened, and that they sent you to the shop that incorrectly repaired your car in the first place.  Don't let them off the hook.  Sometimes these things just take persistence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.