If my car was towed away from a private parking lot due to improper signage, can I sue in small claims court or does the owner need to pursue it?

I am fairly confident I can win a small claims case in Missouri to get double my money back. Regardless, my only concern is that I am a college student and the car title is in my grandmother’s name (her attendance in court is not possible). Am I still able to pursue alone? If not, what actions must I have my grandmother take?

Asked on November 11, 2014 under Accident Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You were driving her car with her permission correct?  Then I would obtain a Power of Attorney to act on her behalf and then bring the action in the appropriate court.  If the ticket was issued in her name then she has to bring the suit even though you paid the fine.  And if you win the funds will be written in her name. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.