If my car was struck at my place of employment by another employee in the employers vehicle, can I sue for what insurance doesn’t cover?

Their insurance is taking care of most of it.

Asked on July 12, 2015 under Accident Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the other employee was driving carelessly or negligently, and therefore was at fault in causing the accident, you could sue him, as the at-fault driver, for any amounts not covered by insurance. You could also sue your employer, since  vehicle owner is liable for damages caused by at-fault drivers whom it allows to drive. Of course, if you sue your employer, unless you have a written employment contract protecting your employment, you could be fired (since without a contract, you are an "employee at will," and employees at will may be fired at any time, for any reason), so you need to weigh that risk against what you hope to recover monetarily.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.