Whatt o do if my car was stolen from in front of my trailor last night?

I called the office for my trailor park and was told break-ins have been happening for over a week and at least one other car was stolen last week. The trailor park is suppose to have 24 hour security in our park and the office lady said she has to find out “what happened to security last night”, as if they weren’t doing there job. The trailor park, knowing about the thefts and break ins did not inform any tenants as to the problem warning us to watch out. Are they in any way liable for my car theft since their security wasn’t fullfilling their job and they were aware of this issue for at least a week?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

IF you can show 1) that the trailer park had promised to provide security and taken on the obligation to provide security (since the law does not make them do this), and 2) the only reason the theft occured was because of some defect or inadequacy in security, then you may be able to hold the park responsible for the theft. Be aware that it will be difficult to show this; the normal assumption is that a landlord or trailer park is not responsible for theft of tenant property, since a person is not generally responsible for the criminal acts of third-parties not under his/her/its control. It takes exceptional circumstances to impose liability in cases like this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.