What to do if my car was totaled but the insurance companies don’t want to give me what is was worth?

My car was parked in front of my home and someone hit it and totaled. My insurance and the at-fault friver’s insurance company only want to give me $900 for my car when it was worth a lot more. I can’t replace my car for $900. I need to know what I can do to get more money for my car.

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Accident Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can continue negotiating with the insurance company to try to get a better settlement offer; however, since the settlement offer is that low, the insurance company probably won't increase its offer substantially to a reasonable amount.

If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance company, you can reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.