Who should pay for my windshield if it was damaged by a ball at a soccer game?

My car was parked along with all the other parents’ cars at our son’s high school soccer field. My car’s windshield was hit by a soccer ball kicked by the opposing team in an attempt to make a goal. My car was not directly behind the goal and the ball had to fly a good distance and at a high rate of speed to hit my windshield and hit it hard enough to break it. The car is not driveable because the windshield is so damaged on the driver’s side. The cost to replace the windshield is $280. My son’s high school said they are not responsible and neither is the player that kicked the ball. The high school principal said that I parked there at my own risk.

Asked on September 30, 2013 under Accident Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The high school principal is correct. If you park at a ball field, even if not directly behind the goal, you assume the risk that a ball will hit your car and damage it; having assumed that risk, you cannot recover compensation. Also, from what you write, neither the ball player nor the high school did anything wrong--they were simply playing and/or hosing a game, at a location where  games are held. There is no negligence, or unreasonable carelessness, in having a soccer game at a soccer field, and without negligence, there would be no liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.