What to do if my car was hit while parked in front of my house and I beileve that the person who hit my car may have had a medical condition?

After submiting a claim I was told from the auto insurer that if the driver had a medical issue and that was the cause for the crash, they will not be held liable. I only have liability on my car and my insurance will not pay for my damage as well. I am stuck with the damage or posible loss due to the car xtensive damage. Please advise if this is correct and or what can be done. can I take this person to court to recoop my loss since the insurance wouldn’t pay?

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Accident Law, Maryland


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Don't create a defense for the driver.  If the driver is liable and your insurance comopany won't cover it, sue the driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.