What to do if my car was hit while I was sitting in it on private property?

The at-fault driver made a claim to his insurance company, however I received a letter from them stating that there may be a problem with the damage being covered by them. I have contacted his insurance company but got no response; I tried calling him and have not gotten any response. I was wondering what kind of lawyer I would need to pursue this matter in court?

Asked on August 24, 2013 under Accident Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If your property damage is not settled with the at-fault party's insurance carrier, you will need to sue the at-fault party for negligence.

An attorney who handles civil litigation can represent you in filing your lawsuit for negligence and continuing through the various steps of litigation.  Your County bar association may have a lawyer referral service that can refer you to an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.