What can I do if my car was damaged while having it inspected and now we can not come to agreement of getting the estimates to fix it?

We saw the damaged under the car and went back. They admitted to the damage. The problem has been getting it fixed. I was told to get several estimates including one that they wanted from a place I’ve never heard of before. I gave them one estimate because I felt I wanted my car fixed by a reputable auto repair shop. I have been asked to continue finding more estimates or get his auto shop to lower their estimate. This has been going on for 2 weeks and no car.

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't come to an agreement, you can sue the inspecting shop or business for the cost to repair; in that lawsuit, you can provide evidence of the cost to repair (though will need more than one quote; I have never seen a judge accept just one quote as being convincing evidence), while they can provide their evidence of a lower cost; the court will decide how much is proper. Of course, suing takes time and costs money; it may be a good idea to accept less money than you'd ideally like in order to avoid a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.