If my car was damaged by a mechanic at a car dealership, what are my rights?

Asked on December 2, 2010 under General Practice, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You may sue the dealership (and/or potentially the mechanic personally) for the damages--i.e for the cost to repair what was damaged, or for the dimunition in value of the vehicle from it being damaged. When someone negligently, or carelessly, damages your property, you have a right to recover for that loss, and that applies to when a mechanic or other service person or contractor damages your property, either the property he or she was working on or other property. If the dealership should choose to not voluntarily make good your loss, you will have to sue them to recover. For a small economic loss, you may wish to consider suing in small claims court, where you would represent yourself--it's much less expensive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.