My car sustained damage while parked in a friends driveway. What do I do?

A basketball goal fell on the roof of my car while parked in the driveway 6 months ago. My friend agreed to pay for repairs but soon lost his job and is avoiding paying to get the car repaired and filing under his homeowners insurance. He refuses to give me the name of the home insurer. I don’t want to file a claim under my vehicle insurance. What can I do to get this resolved.

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Accident Law, Georgia


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

you really only have two options

1) use your own insurance

2) your friend uses his insurance or pays out of pocket

these are your only options and basically your question is really more about morality than law. you don't know what to do because he is your friend so I advise talking to him explaining the situation and maybe set up payments he can make to pay for repairs. You need to decide how to proceed because hes your friends but the options are very simple and you really just have to pick which to follow through with

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.