If my car is at an auto body since an accident and it has been repaired but still is still there because of a dispute over money between the shop and my insurer, can I legally go get it?

It has been there for over a month.

Asked on July 29, 2014 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't simply go and get it: the shop has a right to hold onto the car if they are not paid. To get your car, you must (1) pay what they want; or (2) work out some mutually agreeable payment with them; or (3) take them to court and get a judge to rule either that they have to return the car to you or at least to determine an amount which you should pay--and then pay that amount. Given the cost of a legal action, and that it can take months to resolve, you probably best off either paying or negotiating.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.