What to do if my car was stolen and sold to a junkyard?

I found it but the junkyard claimed $500 to get it back. Should I give them the money ?

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you have insurance for the vehicle that was stolen, advise your claims representative of the matter as soon as posisble. In the interim, call the police department that received the report of the stolen vehicle and have one of its representatives come out to the junkyard with you to follow up on the report. From there follow the police officer's lead as to paying to get the car back or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.